Robert Countis Pennington Jr.
Missing since 24 November 1943
Officially declared dead on 25 November 1944
Robert Pennington served on the U.S.S. Liscome Bay (CVE-56).
On 24 November 1943, at 0510, the U.S.S. Liscome Bay was struck by at least one torpedo on the starboard side aft of the after engine room. Other explosions followed immediately blowing off the after half of the flight deck and gutting the remainder of the ship, except for some portions forward of the island. Approximately twenty-three minutes later the U.S.S. Liscome Bay sank.
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Robert Countis Pennington Sr., South Pittsburg, TN
Memorialized at the Honolulu, Hawaii Memorial
- Rank: Aviation Chief Metalsmith
- Date of death: 25 November 1944
- County: Marion
- Hometown: South Pittsburg
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Liscome Bay (CVE-56)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert C. Pennington Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.