Piloted P51-D fighter plane with serialnumber 44-13291 out of Italy. Shot down six German planes. Flew sixty missions with no bullet holes in planes over Italian, Austrian, and Balkan territory. He died non Battle in a plane crash in Italy.
Graduated from the University of Tennessee. Joined Army Air Corps March 31, 1942. Graduated May 1942. Native of Washington County, Jonesborough, Sulpher Springs area.
Submitted by sister, Helen Deakins McCrary
- Rank: 1st Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 6 March 1921
- Date of death: 24 November 1944
- County: Washington
- Hometown: Jonesborough
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 318th Fighter Squadron, 325th Fighter Group
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Purple Heart, Group Presidential Citation
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sulphur Springs Cemetery, Jonesboro, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Richard S. Deakins
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.