Flight Officer Richard E. Edwards served as a Navigator aboard the B-24HSH with serial number 41-28910 of the 858th Bomber Squadron, 492nd Bomb Group flying Carpetbagger Missions for the OSS. He died on 19 April 1945 when his B-24 was shot down off the Coast of Norway. He is listed on the Tablets of the Missing Cambridge American Cemetery. Awards include Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster.
Pilot, 2nd Lt William R. Shaw
Co-Pilot, F/O Milan J. Mihocik
Navigator, F/O Richard E. Edwards
Bombardier, F/O Merrill E. Majors
Radar N-B, 2nd Lt George M. Alseth Jr.
Engineer, Sgt James H. Hamrick
Radio Operator, Sgt Eugene J. Hollub
Flex Gunner, Sgt Robert A. Eagan
Flex Gunner, Sgt Frederick J. Patrinos
Tail Gunner, Sgt Chalmer M. Hale
Flex Gunner, Sgt Charles S. Baker
- Rank: Flight Officer
- Date of death: 19 April 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 858th Bomber Squadron, 492nd Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Cambridge American Cemetery, Cambridge, England
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Richard E. Edwards
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.