Corporal Smith died non Battle at Nottingham, Rockingham County, New Hampshire in an army plane crash. He is buried at Thorngrove Cemetery, Strawberry Plains, Tennessee.
The Knoxville Journal, December 2, 1944
Cpl. Preston K. Smith, who became engaged to Miss Dorothy Hedrick of 2326 Magnolia Avenue two weeks ago while home on furlough, was killed Nov. 29 in an Army plane crash, his family was notified yesterday. The plane of Corporal Smith crashed at Nottingham, N.H. The 18-year-old soldier, who was preparing to go overseas, was the son of Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Smith, Strawberry Plains. Miss Hedrick is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.N. Hedrick. Besides his parents, he is survived by two brothers, Sgt. Syrus H. and Pfc. William D., who are in the service; O.Y. and Alfred, Mascot and one sister, Mrs. Irene Sherrod of Knoxville.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 9 December 1925
- Date of death: 29 November 1944
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: Strawberry Plains
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Thorngrove Cemetery, Strawberry Plains, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Preston K. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.