Orville Depew Kitzmiller
Born 14 May 1919, Sullivan County, Tennessee
Died 23 July 1944, Guam
Son of Zed Lochart Kitzmiller and Chessie Oma McCray
Private First Class, First Battalion, Third Marine Division
The Kingsport Times, 1 October 1944
O.D. Kitzmiller killed in action on Guam, July 23.
The War Department has notified Mr. and Mrs. Zed L. Kitzmiller of Fordtown that their son, PFC Orville D. Kitzmiler, was killed in action on Guam on July 23.
Private Kitzmiller had been in the service since June 23, 1942 and had received his basic training at San Diego, Calif. He went overseas in January this year. A member of the Third Marine Division, he was stationed at Guadalcanal several months before going into action in the Mariana Islands.
The Kingsport Times, 25 October 1948
PFC Kitzmiller Funeral Rites set.
Funeral services for PFC Orville D. Kitzmiller, son of Mr. and Mrs. Zed Kitzmiller, Fordtown, will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. in Beulah Church with burial in the adjoining cemetery.
PFC Kitzmiller, a native of Fordtown, was killed on Guam on July 23, 1944. He was a member of the First Battalion, Third Marine Division.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 14 May 1919
- Date of death: 23 July 1944
- County: Sullivan
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 3rd Marines, 3rd Marine Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Beulah Cemetery, Ford Town, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Orville D. Kitzmiller
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.