Oliver Franklin Baxter was the son of Alfred Monroe Baxter and Susan Williamson. He was a Control Tower Operator. He died in a car crash near Tempe, Arizona.
The Knoxville Journal, September 17, 1944
Phoenix, Ariz., Sept. 16 – Sgt. Oliver F. Baxter, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred M. Baxter of Newport, was killed last night near Tempe, Ariz., when the car he was driving overturned three times. Sergeant Baxter, stationed at Williams Field, Ariz., was thrown out, crushed under the machine, which went out of control after a collission with a car being backed on the highway to pull a stalled automobile.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 19 March 1920
- Date of death: 15 March 1944
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Newport
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Union Cemetery, Newport, Cocke County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Oliver F. Baxter
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.