Lieutenant Junior Grade Norman Claflin Draper, US Navy Reserve, was assigned to VF-7 as a Naval Aviator.
The Squadron was shipped aboard the USS Hancock in 1944. The Hancock was part of the invasion force sent to reclaim the Philippines. It was during this that the VF-7 was involved in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. LtJg Draper, flying a F6F-5 BuNo. 70353, was killed in action on 6 November 1944. He is remembered on the Tablets of the Missing, Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines.
Mother: Mrs. Norma Farwell Draper, 120 Cherokee Drive, Knoxville
Norris High School Alumnus, Commemorated Plaque at Norris, TN, Town Square
- Rank: Lieutenant Junior Grade
- Date of birth: 2 January 1921
- Date of death: 6 November 1944
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Norris
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Hancock
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Leyte Gulf
- Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Norman C. Draper
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.