Merritt Dunbar was born in Madison, Colorado.
He entered the service of the U.S. Army on July 25, 1917. His organization was Supply Company, 117th Infantry, 30th Division, stationed at Camp Sevier, SC. Sailed for France on May 11, 1918. Lieutenant Dunbar was killed by shell fire near Ypres on July 22, 1918.
- Rank: First Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 30 August 1891
- Date of death: 22 July 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Walnut, N.C.
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Walnut Methodist Church Cemetery, Walnut, Madison County, North Carolina
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: William Regas
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.