Died non battle, Polo, Ogle County, Illinois
Pvt. Melvin L. Ivens was born in 1923. He departed this life August 1, 1943, and was laid to rest on August 6, after funeral services at Big Creek Baptist Church, Madisonville, conducted by the Revs. Hoyt Shadden and J.T. Stakely, beneath a large mound of flowers, in the church cemetery.
Melvin was the son of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Ivens. He leaves to mourn his departure his parents, four sisters, Mrs. Geneva Reno, Misses Onie Bee, Ruby and Carolyn Ivens, three brothers, Winfred, Randall and Bobby, a grandfather, Mr. Sherman Cole, two grandmothers, Mrs. Sherman Cole and Mrs. Maggie Ivens, several other relatives and a host of friends.
Melvin was a good boy and always had a sunny smile for every one. He will be greatly missed.
-Submitted by his aunt, Mrs. Wright Ivens
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 27 April 1923
- Date of death: 1 August 1943
- County: Monroe
- Hometown: Madisonville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Big Creek Cemetery, Big Creek, Monroe County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Melvin L. Ivens