Marshall Laverne Hassler
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Rayburn Hassler, Crab Orchard, TN
He was killed in action on January 9, 1945 when the USS Colorado BB-45 was struck by a defective anti-aircraft shell. The Colorado was supporting the landings in Lingayen Gulf, Philippines. He was fatally wounded and buried at sea. He is memorialized at Manila American Cemetery.
- Rank: Seaman First Class
- Date of death: 9 January 1945
- County: Cumberland
- Hometown: Crab Orchard
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Colorado (BB-45)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Marshall L. Hassler
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.