The Maryville Enterprice, 29 March 1945
Second Lieutenant Marion B. Cooper, USMC was killed in an airplane crash at Mindanao in the Philippine Islands on March 8, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Max Cooper were notified by the War Department.
Lieutenant Cooper was twenty-three years old. He attended the University of Tennessee and Duke University. At the time he entered the service, he was working at the Aluminum Company of America. Taking his pre-flight training at the University of Georgia, Lieutenant Cooper also trained at Memphis, before winning his wings at pensacola in 1944. He was then sent to Jacksonville, Florida for further training. Lieutenant left for overseas duty from California in September. He had many friends in the community. He was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Cooper.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 11 August 1921
- Date of death: 22 March 1945
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Alcoa
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: Marine Fighter Squadron 115
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross with Gold Star, Air Medal with Five Gold Stars
- Burial/Memorial Location: Magnolia Cemetery, Maryville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Marion B. Cooper
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.