Private Malcolm Hugee Smith was born on August 3, 1921. He was from Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he worked as a miner. He was married and had one daughter, Joyce Smith Bridges. He enlisted in the military on June 20, 1944 at Fort McPherson in Atlanta, Georgia. He served in the European Theater of the war as a rifleman with the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division. On January 29, 1945, he was wounded at St. Vith, Belgium. He died from these wounds on January 31, 1945. He was initially buried at the American War Cemetery Henri-Chapelle in Belgium and reburied in the Chattanooga National Cemetery on December 3, 1947 (Section Y, Grave 265).
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 3 August 1921
- Date of death: 31 January 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Malcolm H. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.