Born 1917, Virginia
Memorialized at Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold, France
Mack Mellon was stationed at Fort Brady, Michigan and had been serving in the U.S. Army since February 5, 1942. He enlisted at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
The Kingsport Times, 28 December 1945:
Church Hill, Tenn. – Mr. and Mrs. Jake Mellon of Church Hill, Route 1, have received word from the War Department concerning their son, PFC Mack R. Mellon, who has been missing in action since December 17, 1944.
The Army has confirmed the fact that young Mellon was drowned when his boat capsized on a crossing of a river into Germany. He had been in the service three years.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 17 December 1944
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Church Hill
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 137th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Mack R. Mellon
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.