Cpl Lindsey was returned from Draguignan-St. Raphael, France.
Buried on December 17, 1948, in Knoxville National Cemetery (Section A Site 5699)
The National Cemetery interment card lists Private Lindsey’s date of death as 15 August 1944 and his assignment as Company A, 509th Parachute Infantry. His highest rank held was corporal and his previous units of assignment had been the 502nd and 517th Parachute Infantry. (These re-assignments were common as parachute qualified replacements were shifted amongst units based on need).
Private Lewis N. Lindsey was born 4 Jun 1925. Enlisted 25 Feb 41. He died on 15 August 1944 while a member of Company A, 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion, 1st Airborne Task Force while participating in the airborne invasion of Southern France, code named Operation RUGBY. He was buried in the US 17 Dec 1948. -Submitted by Glenn Stover
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 4 June 1925
- Date of death: 15 August 1944
- County: Knox
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Lewis N. Lindsey
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.