Lewis Enock Christian
Died 30 July 1945
Lewis Christian served as an electrician’s mate 2nd Class onboard the cruiser USS Indianapolis CA-35. After delivering the components for the atomic bomb to Tinian Island, his ship was torpedoed and sunk July 30, 1945. He was among 880 crewmem lost at sea.
My dad is still living and remembers his aunt dying hoping Lewis had survived and living on an island somewhere. Any additional info on the fate of Lewis would be appreciated. Thanks!
–Submitted by Kim Hardaway
The photos are from The Andrew Caldwell Family of Hawkins County, Tn book compiled in 1994 and revised in 1997 by Kay Tunnell Caldwell.
- Rank: Electricians Mate Second Class
- Date of death: 30 July 1945
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Bulls Gap
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Indianapolis (CA-35)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Sponsored by: Km Hardaway
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.