Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Rogersville Review, July 13, 1944
Pvt. Lester Jones, son of Mr. and Mrs. Birdie Jones of Persia, Rt. 3, was killed on June 9th on Biak Island. His parents were notified July 4th. Biak is off the coast of Dutch New Guinea. Lester, who was in the infantry was killed in action. He was 19 years of age. He attended Tarpine Valley school. He went into the army April 5, 1943 and went overseas in January, 1944. He has a brother in England, Pfc. Larry R. Jones. Lester is survived by his parents, two sisters and four brothers.
- Rank: Private
- Date of death: 9 June 1944
- County: Hawkins
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 162nd Infantry Regiment, 41st Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Lester Jones
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.