Pfc. Lee H. Cardin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henderson Cardin of Tellico Plains R. 2, is reported as missing in action. Lee was serving with the 35th Division, a unit of Gen. Patton’s Third Army. He was in the Battle of Metz. He recently celebrated his twentieth birthday. Lee was a student at Tellico Plains High School at the time of his induction. He landed in England on July 1 and was in action in France July 14.
Buried at Druid Hill Cemetery, Tellico Plains, TN.
The Knoxville Journal, January 29, 1945
Mr. and Mrs. Henderson Cardin have been informed by the War Department that their son, Pfc. Lee H. Cardin, 20, who was previously listed as missing in action, was killed Nov. 10, near Metz.
He served with General Patton’s Third Army and participated in the Battle of St. Lo.
A former student of Tellico Plains High School, he entered the Army in August, 1943 and had been overseas since July.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 9 November 1924
- Date of death: 10 November 1944
- County: Monroe
- Hometown: Tellico Plains
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 35th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: St. Lo
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Druid Hill Cemetery, Tellico Plains, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Lee H. Cardin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.