Staff Sergeant Medlin was a crew member aboard U.S. Army Air Corps B-17F Flying Fortress #42-30260, serving with the 385th Bomb Group, 548th Bomb Squadron.
While on a training flight out of Lewiston Army Airfield, the bomber experienced severe turbulence at 15,000 feet and an engine caught fire. Pilot, Lt. Roy Thompson ordered a bailout, but only one crew member escaped in time before the B-17 crashed, four miles south of West Yellowstone, Montana.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 29 June 1923
- Date of death: 23 May 1943
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 385th Bomber Group, 548th Bomber Squadron
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Lawrence W. Medlin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.