Staff Sergeant Kyle B. Jones was a gunner on a B-24 assigned to the 859th Bomber Squadron, 492nd Bomb Group, which flew Carpetbagger missions for the OSS. On 9 Febuary 1945 the aircraft exploded over Yugoslavia. He is interred at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, Sec 82 Site 63, St. Louis, Missouri.
Husband of Iva A. Jones of Morristown, Tennessee.
Aircraft B-24H with serial number 42-7563 departed from Brindisi, Italy and was on a combat mission to Karlovak, Jugoslavia.
Pilot, 1st Lt Robert William Maxwell
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt Frank E. Marcus Jr.
Navigator, 2nd Lt Francis Ildefonso Cervantes
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Robert C. Jackson
Engineer, S/Sgt Lionel A. Tetzloff
Radio Operator, S/Sgt William P. Kavanaugh
Tail Gunner, William W. Elliott
Waist Gunner, S/Sgt Kyle B. Jones
S/Sgt Jones is buried together with his crew members.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of death: 9 February 1945
- County: Hamblen
- Hometown: Morristown
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 859th Bomber Squadron, 492nd Bomb Group
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, MO
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Kyle B. Jones
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.