Staff Sergeant Davis was the Tail Turret Gunner on a B-24J Liberator bomber of the 15th Air Force, based in Italy, serial number 44-40570. The aircraft, piloted by Lt Bernard L. Ball, was on a pinpoint bombing mission to destroy a bridge in Yugoslavia, received a direct flak burst in the waist section forward. The shell did not explode till it hit the roof inside the bomber, upon explosion it ripped open the waist, wiped out both waist guns, and severed the rudder cables. Lt Ball brought the plane in on her engines only, due to his controls being out. Both Waist Gunners were wounded and S/Sgt Davis killed.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 27 April 1925
- Date of death: 23 November 1944
- County: Carter
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 717th Bomber Squadron, 449th Bomber Group
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Kenneth W. Davis
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.