Private First Class Kenneth Lee Hinnant, Service Number 2272445
Kenneth was born in Johnson City, Washington County, Tennessee on 24 November 1947. He graduated Science Hill High School, Class of 1966. Kenneth played in the band and was a member of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) and attended East Tennessee State University before entering the United States Marine Corps in February 1968.
After he completed basic and advanced training, Kenneth was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 27th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. His specialty was a 0331/Machine Gunner. His tour of duty began on 26 February 1968 and he was killed in action while engaged with the enemy in Thua Thien Province, South Vietnam on 13 April 1968. For his actions, he received the Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service and Vietnam Campaign Medals. Kenneth rests in Roselawn Memory Gardens, Johnson City, Carter County, Tennessee, Section Vietnam, Lot 13A, Space 1 and is commemorated on the Vietnam Memorial Wall; Panel 49E Line 042.
Kenneth was 20 years old and a member of the Unaka Avenue Baptist Church and the Order of Demolay. He was the son of Neil and Georgie Hinnant.
-Submitted by Allen D. Jackson, USAF (Ret)
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 24 November 1947
- Date of death: 13 April 1968
- County: Washington
- Hometown: Johnson City
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 27th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service and Vietnam Campaign Medals
- Burial/Memorial Location: Roselawn Memorial Park, Johnson City, Washington County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Kenneth L. Hinnant