Joseph Paul Smith died of wounds received in action on Iwo Jima. A graduate of Blountville high school, he entered the Marine Corps, March 23, 1944 and received basic training in California before going overseas in early July. He was stationed at Hawaii until the Iwo Jima invasion.
He is morialized at the Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, HI
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Troy D. Smith, Rt 1, Piney Flats, TN
- Rank: Private
- Date of death: 28 February 1945
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Piney Flats
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph P. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.