Joseph Francis Gafney was born In New York, New York. He was married to Kathleen Adcock and the father of Frances Gafney.
He was killed in action in the drive of the 30th division between Cambrai and St. Quentin. Captain Gafney served four years with the marines and six years with the Eleventh Cavalry.
He died at the age of 30, and is buried in plot B, row 17, grave 12, Somme American Cemetery and Memorial, Somme, Picardie Region, France.
- Rank: Captain
- Date of birth: 17 May 1885
- Date of death: 8 October 1918
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: St. Quentin
- Burial/Memorial Location: Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph F. Gafney
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.