Joseph Hyder Cowan was born in Johnson County, Tennessee to Charlotte Cowan. He entered the service August 22, 1917 at Elizabethon and trained at Camp Sevier in Greenville, South Carolina. He sailed to Europe May 16, 1917 arriving on May 25. He servied with the 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division AEF. He was killed in action on 9 October 1918 at the age of 19, and is buried plot A, row 18, grave 10, at Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 13 September 1897
- Date of death: 9 October 1918
- County: Johnson
- Hometown: Butler
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company G, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph Cowan
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.