Joseph Absolum Bayless was born 1888 in Heiskell, Tennessee to Reese Clay Bayless and Letitia Catherine Elizabeth Pannell.
He enlisted June 24, 1918, as a member of Company G, 357th Infantry, 90th Division. Became a member of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF), in September 1918 and was in the fighting at Argonne Forest. Private Bayless returned to the states in Feburary 1919. Died in the Base Hospital at Fort McPherson, GA, after two operations. Date of death May 21, 1919.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 29 December 1888
- Date of death: 21 May 1919
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Heiskell
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company G, 357th Infantry Regiment, 90th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Meuse, Argonne Forest
- Burial/Memorial Location: Bayless Cemetery, Heiskell, Knox County, Tenn
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph A. Bayless
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.