John William Hawkins was born on 25 November 1924 at Rockwood, Tennessee, the son of Charles William Hawskins who passed away in 1931 and Nancy Shoemake. Stepson of Joseph L. Shoemake.
Died 26 December 1944
Buried at Greenwood Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
15th Infantry Regiment , 3rd Infantry Division, Company B
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 24 January 1945
Pvt. John W. Hawkins, son of Mrs. J.L. Shoemake, 2805 Bell Arbor Avenue, was reported killed in action in France on Dec. 26. Pvt. Hawkins was graduated from Hardy Junior High School and was employed at the Professional Golf Company before entering the army in March, 1943. He had been overseas about five months.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 25 November 1924
- Date of death: 26 December 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Greenwood Cemetery, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John W. Hawkins
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.