John Warren Bailey served on the U.S.S. Porter (DD356). He died on 26 October 1942 and is listed on the Tablets of the Missing, Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines.
Mother: Mrs. Sarah Jane Hale, Charleston
Photo of USS Porter: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/n30000/n35345.jpg
On 26 October, during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, the Porter was fatally damaged by a torpedo and had to be sunk by another U.S. Navy ship. It looks like Bailey died in the attack. See:
John W. Bailey is memorialized at the Mount Hermon United Methodist Church Cemetery, Polk County, TN.
- Rank: Fireman First Class
- Date of birth: 22 June 1921
- Date of death: 26 October 1942
- County: Polk
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Porter (DD356)
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John W. Bailey
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.