Died non Battle
Son of James S. Buckles and Yetta Hoffman
Awarded the Purple Heart
Lt John Samuel Buckles was the pilot of a B-17F Flying Fortress with serial number 42-5383 and was killed when he crashed at Davenport, Florida. Three other airman also perished: F/O John J. Devine, Lt. William Weldon Jackson and Lt. Joseph Koch.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of death: 2 April 1944
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John S. Buckles
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.