Private John Robert Cate was assigned to the 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. His unit landed on Utah Beach on D-Day 6 June 1944.
Private Cate died of his wounds on 8 June 1944. He was interred at D,15,25, Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France.
Official records list him as being from Jefferson County.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 21 September 1917
- Date of death: 8 June 1944
- County: Sevier
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John R. Cate
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.