John Patton Smith was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee, 11 August 1896 to Robert Dartis Smith and Laura Stephens. He attended schools in North Chattanooga and was formerly an employee of Ross-Meehan foundry. He was killed in action 15 July 1918 in France at the age of 21. He is buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery, Section S, Site 14020.
Picture from the Chattanooga Sunday Times Memorial Supplement, May 25, 1919
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 11 August 1896
- Date of death: 15 July 1918
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company H, 30th Infantry Regiment
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Meuse-Argonne
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: John B. Romeiser
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.