Sergeant John N. Childress was born in 1925. He was killed in action in 1944. He is buried in Lynnhurst Cemetery in Knoxville. He enlisted with the Air Corps. He was a crew member of aircraft B-24 with serial number 42-52562. Aircraft 42-52562 collided in mid-air with aircraft 41-29364 over England. Both planes crashed about 5 miles from the Attlebridge airfield.
2nd Lt Teddy F. Ivey
2nd Lt Worthington W. Phillips
2nd Lt Prosper F. Pinto
2nd Lt Frank Raymond Sanderson
Sgt John N. Childress
Sgt James F. Crawford
Sgt Arnold F. Hawkins
Sgt Sandlin J. Jordan
S/Sgt Joseph Russo
Sgt Edwin A. Stewart
Picture of www.tohonorourfallen.com. Individuals are not identified.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of death: 27 March 1944
- County: Knox
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 785th Bomber Squadron, 466th Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John N. Childress
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.