John Lloyd Godsey was born 8 March 1895 in Snowflake, Virginia to Clinton Hayes Godsey and Martha Emily Barker. He entered military service on 20 September 1917 at Shamble, Georgia. Pvt Godsey was killed in action in France and was initially buried at the American Cemetery, Bony, Aisne, France.
Photo courtesy: AMichael
The Godsey Family circa 1904. Laura Hester on father’s knee. Clinton Hayes Godsey (father), Martha (mother), Bertha Evelyn between parents and John Loyd Godsey next to his father. Standing Mary Elizabeth, Joseph Clinton, Elbert Chester and Giles Thomas.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 8 March 1895
- Date of death: 8 October 1918
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Bristol
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company D, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John L. Godsey
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.