John Hayworth Johnson was inducted into the service at Knoxville March 29, 1918, and was assigned to Company C, 327th Infantry, 82nd Division. He sailed in April with his organization to France. Took part in all battles of the 82nd Division until October 12, 1918, when he was killed in action in the Argonne Forest.
He was born in Union County, Tennessee, son of Alice Cooper Johnson. He died at the age of 23.
Private Johnson is buried at Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Tennessee. His nephew, John W. Johnson, would be killed in WW II.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 12 May 1894
- Date of death: 12 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company C, 327th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Argonne Forest
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Roy and Alice Kruse
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.