John Edmund Phillips was born 6 December 1893, Washington County, Tennessee, son of Joseph Alexander Phillips and Talitha Cumi Denton.
Died 1 January 1918, Jonesborough, Washington County, Tennessee of a gun shot wound.
As Christmas 1917 approached, John as many of the 117th were given leave to return home to be with their families for the holidays. He and his father went hunting on New Year’s Day 1918 and John slipped and fell. As he hit the ground his weapon discharged severing the artery in his leg below the knee and he bled to death. John was 25 years old.
He is buried at Oliver Cemetery, Washington County, Tennessee.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 6 December 1893
- Date of death: 1 January 1918
- County: Washington
- Hometown: Jonesboro
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company F, 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Oliver Cemetery, Washington County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John E. Phillips
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.