John David Williams was brn 15 April 1928
Sergeant John David Williams was a member of Company C, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in Korea on November 11, 1950. Sergeant Williams was awarded the Purple Heart, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and the Republic of Korea War Service Medal.
He is buried at the Honolulu, HI Memorial, G, 289
The Newport Times, Nov. 22, 1950
The following telegram has been received by Mr. and Mrs. Anderson William of Bridgeport, from the Marine Corps. “Deeply regret to inform you that your son Corporal John David Williams, USMC, was kiled in actio 12 November 1950 in the Korean area. In performance of his duty and service of his country. No information available at present regarding disposition of remains. Temporary burial in locality where death occurred probable. You will be promptly furnished any addtional information received. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. Letter follows: “ Signed: C.B. Cates, General Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Cpl. Williams is a graduate of Tanner High School and had the highest average in his class of 1946. He was a very active student, including sports and subjects. He was 22 years old at the time of his death, and was serving with the famous 7th division.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 15 April 1928
- Date of death: 11 November 1950
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Newport
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Presidential Unit Citation, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John D. Williams
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.