John Carrol Owen Jr.
Died 15 October 1942
He served on the U.S.S. Meredith (DD434)
The U.S.S. Meredith was lost in action in the Solomons. Three torpedoes and two bomb hits delivered the death blow to the Meredith on October 15, 1942, as it was convoying a tug, U.S.S. Vireo (AT-144) and its gasoline-laden tow off San Cristobal Island in the Solomons. John Owen was lost at sea and officially declared dead on 16 October 1943.
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Father: John Carrol Owen Sr., Box 220 Jefferson City, TN
Norris High School Alumnus. Commemorated on plaque at Norris Town Center, Norris, TN
- Rank: Electricians Mate Third Class
- Date of birth: 29 September 1921
- Date of death: 15 October 1942
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: Jefferson City
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Meredith (DD434)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John C. Owen Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.