Sergeant John Chestley Byas was assigned to the 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division. At the time of his death the 45th had liberated Dachau Concentration Camp on the 29th of April and the next two days battled into Munich, Germany.
Sergeant Byas was killed in action on 30 April 1945. He is interred at E,23,34, Lorraine American Cemetery, St Avold, France.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 11 October 1919
- Date of death: 30 April 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Silver Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John C. Byas
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.