Second Lieutenant John Ashley Templeton was born on January 10, 1946, and was originally from Lake Bluff, Illinois. He graduated at McCallie High School, Chattanooga in 1960 and was graduated from a military academy in Chattanooga, TN and attended Vanderbilt university in Nashville. He left school in his senoir year to join the marines.
He served his country in the Vietnam War in the United States Marine Corps as a Basic Infantry Officer in A Company, 1st Battalion, 27th Marines, 1st Marine Division. His tour began on July 11, 1968. One week later, on July 18, 1968, 2nd. Lt. Templeton was killed under hostile conditions in Quang Nam province, South Vietnam, while on parol. He was 22 years old at the time of his death. 2nd Lt. Templeton is memorialized on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 51W, Line 9.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 10 January 1946
- Date of death: 18 July 1968
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Lake Bluff, Illinois
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 27th Marines, 1st Marine Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Purple Heart Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Vietnam Service Medal with One Service Star, Vietnam Campaign Medal, National Defense Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Forsyth Memorial Park, Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, NC
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John A. Templeton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.