Private Joel Ralph Barlow was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps. He died on 3 Febuary 1943 and is listed on the Tablets of the Missing, East Coast Memorial, New York City, New York.
He was lost in the sinking of the SS Dorchester. The Dorchester was torpedoed by German U-boat U-223 during the early morning hours of February 3, 1943.
The Greeneville Sun, February 19, 1943
Pvt. Joel R. Barlow who was reported the first of the week as misssing in action in the North African Area is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Kelley Barlow of Bull Gap, Rt. 3 and a grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Patton of Greeneville. His mother is the former Miss Ruth Patton of Greeneville.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 17 November 1921
- Date of death: 3 February 1943
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greeneville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Coast Artillery Corps
- Theater: North Atlantic
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: East Coast Memorial, New York, NY
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joel R. Barlow
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.