Joe Nance was born on August 14, 1888 in Morgan County, Tennessee. He served with the American Expeditionary Force in France and was killed in action in the battle of St. Mihiel September 12, 1918. He was initially buried at Flanders Field but was removed and finally interred in Lancing Cemetery in 1921.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 14 August 1888
- Date of death: 12 September 1918
- County: Morgan
- Hometown: Lancing
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company D, 9th Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: St-Mihiel, Verdun, the Marne, Soissons, Lorraine, Toul near Thiaucourt
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lancing Cemetery, Morgan County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Bottom Panel
- Sponsored by: John Romeiser
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.