Joseph “Joe” Henry Fleming was born on 13 February 1917 in Bristol, Tennessee, son of Joseph Henry Fleming and Mary Lavinia Cox. He married Peggy Copenhaver in May, 1942. He attended Georgia Military Academy and Virginia Military Institute. For some months he was a flying instructor at Candler Field, Atlanta, Ga.
He died non Battle 22 September 1943. An army plane carrying 20 army personnel, most of them believed to be ferry pilots, crashed and burned two miles from a Calcutta airfield in India, killing all aboard.
He is buried at Shelby Hills Cemetery, Bristol, TN. His son Joseph Henry Fleming IV was born in April, 1944.
8th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group
- Rank: Captain
- Date of birth: 13 February 1917
- Date of death: 22 September 1943
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Bristol
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 8th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Shelby Hills Cemetery, Bristol, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: Joseph H Fleming V
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.