Jess Hamilton Hellard volunteered June 25, 1917, as a member of Company G, Second Tennessee Infantry, but was transferred at Camp Sevier, SC, to Machine Gun Company, 120th Infantry. Sailed May 12, 1918, and took part in every battle up to the last day his regiment was in line, October 20, when he was wounded. He died a week later in the hospital.
He was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee. He died of Wounds on 27 October, 1918 at the age of 22. He is interred A,25,15 Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France. born December 26, 1894
Prior to enlisting in the US Army, Jess was employed at the Knoxville Furniture Company in the glue room. He resided at 1662 Mabry Avenue and he was not married.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 26 December 1894
- Date of death: 27 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Machine Gun Company, 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Somme American Cemetery, Bony, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jess H. Hellard
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.