Wife: Mrs. Sylvia Helen Bernstein, Scenic Drive, Knoxville.
Died on Philippine Islands
Listed on a plaque at entrance to New Jewish Cemetery, Heska Amuna Cemetery, Knoxville.
Jerome (Jerry) Bernstein was a passenger on the SS Edgar W. Nye in 1944 and the U.S.S. Ganymede (AK104) in 1945.
The Knoxville Journal, August 26, 1945
Mrs. Sylvia Reich Bernstein, 298 Scenic Drive, has received notice from the Navy Department of the death of her husband, Jerome Bernstein, torpedoman mate second class, in the service of his country. Seaman Bernstein entered service July 23, 1943, and had been in the Soutwest Pacific a year. Prior to the war, Bernstein was manager of Brown’s Bootery, 519 South Gay Street.
He is survived by his wife, and his mother and two sisters of Baltimore, Md., and a sister and two brother of Norfolk, Va.
- Rank: Torpedoman Mate Second Class
- Date of birth: 30 May 1907
- Date of death: 17 August 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Navy
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: New Jewish Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jerome Bernstein
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.