James Worley Stooksbury was born on 10 October 1918, Andersonville, TN, the son of John Rufus Stooksbury and Lula Betsy Bolinger.
MIA 4 July 1945
Norris High School Alumnus. Commemorated on plaque at Norris Town Center, Norris, TN
Aircraft C-54 with Serialnumber 42-72370 departed from Barrackpore in India on a mission to Kunming, China. The crew of five took off from Barrackpore, India (north side of Calcutta) on a mission to Kunming, China. They were contacted by radio one time and were not seen nor heard from again. The entire crew was lost. Missing Air Crew Report #14706.
The airplane and crewmen were never located. They were declared dead while missing on July 5, 1946. It is likely they crashed in the high mountains on the border of China and Burma.
Pilot, Captain Edwin N. Brissey
Co-Pilot, F/O Hugh C. Ferris
Qualified Duel, Captain Lewis H. Magin Jr.
Radio Operator, S/Sgt Elmer Sharpe
Aerial Engineer, S/Sgt James W. Stooksbury
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 10 October 1918
- Date of death: 4 July 1945
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Andersonville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 1345th Air Force Base Unit
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James W. Stooksbury
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.