James Vestal Murray was born in 1924, son of Joseph E. Murray and Daisy Ruth Miller. He enlisted on December 11, 1943 at Ft Oglethorpe, Georgia.
PFC Murray was killed in action in France in 1944. He is buried at Cedar Grove United Methodist Church Cemetery, Chuckey, Greene County, Tennessee.
The Greenville Sun, September 191, 1944
James Vestal Murray, 20, killed in action. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Murray of Chuckey, Tenn., Route 3, have received a telegram from the War Department stating that their son, Pfc. James V. Murray was killed in action in France on July 27.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 27 July 1944
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Chuckey
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Company I, 330th Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Cedar Grove United Methodist Church Cemetery, Chuckey, Greene County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James V. Murray
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.