James Stephen Phillippi was born in 1920 in Johnson County, Tennessee to Edward Taylor Phillippi and Geneva Alley Walker. He served as PFC in the 15th Infantry, 3rd Division. He died 20 April 1945 in France. He is buried in Lorraine American Cemetery, Saint Avold, France, D. 21 35.
The Johnson County News, April 20, 1944
Word has been received that Pvt. James S. Phillippi, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edd Phllippi, Rte. 1, Mountain City has been wounded in Italy. For his bravery under fire, Pvt. Phillippi has been awarded the Purple Heart.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 5 March 1925
- Date of death: 20 April 1945
- County: Johnson
- Hometown: Mountain City
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James S. Phillippi
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.