James R. Lewis a/k/a James Robert “Jimmie” Lewis (1920-1945), son of Thomas Charles Lewis (1899-1940) and Mary Ethel Dunn Lewis (1901-1995).
Husband of Clara Louise Bivens Lewis (1922-1948).
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
He served as a fireman 2nd Class aboard the cruiser U.S.S. Indianapolis (CA-35). After delivering the components for the atomic bomb to Tinian Island, his ship was torpedoed and sunk July 30, 1945. He was lost at sea with 879 fellow crewmen.
- Rank: Fireman Second Class
- Date of birth: 18 May 1920
- Date of death: 30 July 1945
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Etowah
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Indianapolis (CA-35)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James R. Lewis
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.