Lt James Robert Griswold US Navy Reserve was shipped aboard the Essex Class Carrier USS Franklin CV-13.
On the 19th of March 1945, The Franklin was off the Coast of Honshu when a Japanese plane dropped out of the clouds and dropped bombs on her deck. Lt Griswold was killed in action 19th of March 1945. He is memorialized at Honolulu.
Awards include Purple Heart and Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal.
Wife: Mrs. Katherine D. Griswold, 900 Vine Street, Chattanooga
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Date of death: 19 March 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Franklin (CV-13)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James R. Griswold
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.