He was killed in action 14 Dec 1943 in Torino, Piedmonte, Italy.
The Jasper Journal, September 21, 1948
Funeral services were held this afternoon for Pvt. James P. Burnett at the Dender Funeral home in Etowah. Pvt. Burnett was 34 years of age and was killed December 14, 1943 while serving in the army in Italy. Survivors are his mother, Mrs. Sara Ella Burnett of Etowah, five sisters, Mrs. W.H. Davis of West Palm Beach, Florida, Mrs. D.W. Guinn and Mrs. D.W. Jewell of Atlanta, Mrs. Myrtle Womac of Etowah and Mrs. Katherine Thornton of Everett, Washington, four brothers, J.G., H.P. and Claude of Atlanta, and Frank of California.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 24 April 1909
- Date of death: 14 December 1943
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Etowah
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 701st T. D. Battalion, Company C
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Etowah Cemetery, Etowah, McMinn County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James P. Burnett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.