Hospital Apprentice 2c James Madison Wheeler enlisted in Nashville, Tennessee on 24 July 1917. He shipped aboard the USS Cyclops Collier No.4. The ship departed Barbados 4 March 1918 and disappeared into the Western Atlantic. It was declared lost on 14 June 1918. The disappearence is one of the great mysteries of the sea.
Sister: Jessie C. Ratliff
Also lost from Knox County: Joe Parks and William Pope.
Photo of Wheeler is courtesy of the Tennessee State Library and Archives, Tennessee World War One Gold Star Records.
- Rank: Hospital Apprentice 2nd Class
- Date of birth: 11 April 1892
- Date of death: 14 June 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Mascot
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Cyclops
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lost at sea
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James M. Wheeler
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.